What is the School Council?
A School Council provides a meaningful way in which pupils can voice their opinions and have their views considered in decisions that impact upon them.
At Haughton School, our School Council is a group of children that represents the views of all our pupils. It gives our children the opportunity to have their voices heard and be part of the whole school community. They help to make decisions about school life, organise projects that support learning and development and have the opportunity to raise any concerns relating to Safeguarding within school.
We value the opinions of our pupils, and our School Council gives pupils a forum to share these opinions with our School Council teacher representative, Headteacher and other members of staff.
Who are the School Council Representatives?
School Council Representatives are chosen by the class teachers each year after a discussion with the children about who they think would make a good School Councillor and which children would like to put themselves forward to represent their class.
Our School Council is run by Miss Howard.
We have discussed what the expectations for School Councillors are and all children agreed that they would do their best to uphold these.
All children have a special purple lanyard to wear while they are in school that will let other pupils know their role.
School Council Aims:
- To meet regularly to discuss their views and be heard
- To make sure our school is a happy and safe place for all of our children
- To make sure children have a place to voice their concerns, opinions, and thoughts
- To encourage all children in school to suggest ideas and improvements
- To ensure any suggestions or concerns are listened to and acted upon
- To make sure Fundamental British Values are promoted in school (These are Democracy, The rule of law, Individual liberty, and Mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs)
School Council Focus:
The focus of our School Council is on Pupil Voice and Child Safeguarding. All members will be meeting on a fortnightly basis and will be sharing the view of their classes, as well as visiting the children in Key Stage 1 and Badgers to present them with the School Council’s work and listen to their views.
School Council Meetings:
Children in our School Council meet during lunch times this year for business lunches! The children are always excited to meet up with their fellow members and sit and eat their lunch with their friends from other classes.